Pages

August 10, 2010

Tutorial: Elsie's Owl



When I heard that my sister had a baby girl I was so excited to start sewing for her! I enjoyed designing and sewing this owl softie which will go nicely in Elsie's nature themed nursery.

Here's how to make your own owl.

     You will need: 
     
     corduroy fabric
     cotton fabric
     several colors of felt
     embroidery floss
     stuffing
     ribbon
     sewing machine

     

     1. Draw simple owl and wing shapes for your pattern.

        
     

     2. Fold the corduroy with right sides together, pin on owl pattern and cut out. 
  Fold cotton fabric with right sides together, pin on wing pattern and cut out.

 

     

     3. Pin the wings to the front of the owl and zig zag. Iron to smooth the fabric.

 
 

     
     4. Cut two circles out of cream felt and two  smaller circles out of brown felt for the eyes. Cut a small diamond out of orange felt for the beak. 

                  

     
     5. Cut out an oval of orange felt and then cut it in 
         half for the owl's feet. 
  
                    
                       
              
     6. Position the eyes, beak and feet onto the owl . Pin them on and hand sew with three strands of embroidery floss using a running stitch.



 

     
     7. With right sides together pin front of owl to back and sew on the machine with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, making sure you leave a small opening.


     8. Clip the seam to stitching all the way around.

                    

     
     9. Turn the owl right side out. Poke a pencil in the ears to make them pointy.

                     

                          


     10. Stuff the owl and sew the opening closed using a blind stitch.

 

     11. Using pink ribbon, tie a bow and sew it onto the owl's ear.

                   
       
     
     12. Give the owl to your favorite little girl!

 

17 comments:

  1. Tooo cute!!!! Great job, sweet baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I think owls are the cutest things out there at the moment :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really cute!!! I realy like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job!! SO CUTE!! I love owls too!! :)

    ...visiting from Sassy Sites! I'm a new follower! Come by and say HI! I love your blog! It's such a SASSY site! :)

    I also do vinyl :)
    www.choosethewriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I just cut out a bunch of pieces today for an owl I'm making for my daughter. This is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously cannot get enough of this sweet creation!! You're so talented and it's adorable!! so is the sweet new baby!! I am happy to be your newest follower and would love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I would also like to invite you to my Fabulous Friday Finds party, every Friday! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ FFD~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Thank you sooo much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The owl you made for Elsie is so cute, Alison!! You did a great job making it. I love your new blog; I'll look forward to seeing more posts!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this fun tutorial! I made 4 little owls for my nieces. My daughters 2nd birthday party is this weekend, and I wanted to have something fun to my little nieces to play with while my daughter is opening presents. They turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its all very helpful, thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a good post. This post gives truly quality information. I’m definitely going to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can Get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice blog, thank you for the details on the shots, it will make me progress.

    voyance totalement gratuit

    ReplyDelete
  14. re bonjour,
    je viens de parcourir une grande partie de votre site... une merveille !!! merci d'exister
    voyance en ligne gratuite et serieuse

    ReplyDelete