When I heard that my sister had a baby girl I was so excited to start sewing for her! I enjoyed designing and sewing this owl softie which will go nicely in Elsie's nature themed nursery.
Here's how to make your own owl.
You will need:
several colors of felt
1. Draw simple owl and wing shapes for your pattern.
2. Fold the corduroy with right sides together, pin on owl pattern and cut out.
Fold cotton fabric with right sides together, pin on wing pattern and cut out.
3. Pin the wings to the front of the owl and zig zag. Iron to smooth the fabric.
4. Cut two circles out of cream felt and two smaller circles out of brown felt for the eyes. Cut a small diamond out of orange felt for the beak.
5. Cut out an oval of orange felt and then cut it in
half for the owl's feet.
6. Position the eyes, beak and feet onto the owl . Pin them on and hand sew with three strands of embroidery floss using a running stitch.
7. With right sides together pin front of owl to back and sew on the machine with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, making sure you leave a small opening.
8. Clip the seam to stitching all the way around.
9. Turn the owl right side out. Poke a pencil in the ears to make them pointy.
10. Stuff the owl and sew the opening closed using a blind stitch.
11. Using pink ribbon, tie a bow and sew it onto the owl's ear.
12. Give the owl to your favorite little girl!