Pages

March 9, 2011

Tutorial: Faux Leather Flower


I had a few more buttons left over from this project, so I made another flower, this time documenting the steps so I could share it with you. Despite the length of this of this post, this flower is actually quite simple to make and comes together quickly.


You will need:


faux leather fabric (I found mine in the remnant bin at Wal-Mart)
one leather fabric covered button (you could cover your own)
a bit of felt
needle
thread (I used upholstery thread - works great!)
hot glue gun
hair clip, pin or other accessory


1. Draw a petal for your pattern. This is basically a circle with the edge cut off. I cut mine out of cardboard so it would be easy to trace around.


2. Cut 5 petals out of the leather.


3. Hold a petal in both hands and fold to make a pleat.

4. Hold the pleat together and make one stitch coming up from the back.

5. For the second petal fold the pleat and make one stitch, this time starting at the top. Then put your needle through close to where you came up bringing your thread to the underside. Repeat this step for the remaining 3 petals.


6. When you have all five petals sewn on, attach the first and last petals by putting your needle through the first petal close to the first stitch. Knot your thread.


7. Apply glue to the back of your button and stick it in the middle of the flower.


8. Cut a small circle of felt and glue it to the back of the flower.


9. Glue on a hair clip, pin or whatever accessory you desire.


Finished! Enjoy your new accessory. :)

linking up to:


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great tutorial, Alison! I'll have to give this a try sometime if I can find some leather fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flower. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome ! Thank you for this article, as comprehensive and truly relevant usual!
    voyance gratuite en ligne par mail

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best congratulations for your superb site! Perfect !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great placement is here when i saw that i am really so shocked and also i am very impressed with your post can you more share here i will back soon as soon possible.
    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to your site I just learned several things. Continue!

    gay telephone

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice blog, thank you for the details on the shots, it will make me progress.

    voyance gratuite Email

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find your site awesome, I wish you all the best because you deserve it, good luck and congratulations for this great site!

    Voyance en ligne discount

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read your blog a little bit, it looks very interesting. I'll settle in quietly. I congratulate you it is good to have made this blog
    thank you very much.


    voyance par mail rapide offerte

    ReplyDelete