I had a few more buttons left over from this project, so I made another flower, this time documenting the steps so I could share it with you. Despite the length of this of this post, this flower is actually quite simple to make and comes together quickly.
You will need:
faux leather fabric (I found mine in the remnant bin at Wal-Mart)
one leather fabric covered button (you could cover your own)
a bit of felt
thread (I used upholstery thread - works great!)
hot glue gun
hair clip, pin or other accessory
1. Draw a petal for your pattern. This is basically a circle with the edge cut off. I cut mine out of cardboard so it would be easy to trace around.
2. Cut 5 petals out of the leather.
3. Hold a petal in both hands and fold to make a pleat.
4. Hold the pleat together and make one stitch coming up from the back.
5. For the second petal fold the pleat and make one stitch, this time starting at the top. Then put your needle through close to where you came up bringing your thread to the underside. Repeat this step for the remaining 3 petals.
6. When you have all five petals sewn on, attach the first and last petals by putting your needle through the first petal close to the first stitch. Knot your thread.
7. Apply glue to the back of your button and stick it in the middle of the flower.
8. Cut a small circle of felt and glue it to the back of the flower.
9. Glue on a hair clip, pin or whatever accessory you desire.
Finished! Enjoy your new accessory. :)
linking up to: